Skip to main content

A Decade of French Fashion, 1929-1938: From the depression to the Brink of War Book Review

*****Disclaimer*****
The following review is entirely my opinion. I encourage you to comment but please be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion that's completely ok. I am just sharing my opinion and perspective of this novel.

23743391

Title: A Decade of French Fashion, 1929-1938: From the depression to the Brink of War

Author: Mary Carolyn Waldrep (Editor)

Pages: 112
Publisher: Dover Publications

Expected Publication: August 19th 2015


Summary:
In addition to a world-wide depression and the rise of Fascism throughout Europe, the years between 1929 and 1938 witnessed dramatic changes in women's fashion. With the turning of the decade, the free and easy fashions of the Roaring Twenties shifted to a softer, more conservative look, with an emphasis on curves rather than angles. Hemlines plummeted almost overnight and did not begin to rise until mid-decade.
These selections from full-color French catalogs produced for the American market from 1929 through 1938 document the changes in fashion from the time of the stock market crash to the dawn of World War II. More than 100 images of day and evening wear illustrate the movement from flapper fashions to a more austere look. Fashion designers, costume historians, costumers, and anyone who loves fashion will treasure this richly illustrated survey.


My Review:


I received this from Net Galley in an exchange for an honest review.


If you are an history or self proclaimed costume designer or clothing/fashion lover, or even a little bit of both you will definitely be able to relate to this book. 
In just 112 pages we are able to glimpse the rich history between the period of 1929-1938.

Appearance:

I loved the book cover. To be honest it is one of the first things that grabbed my attention. In addition to the crisp and detailed art. And it truly gives you a taste of the rich and ever changing fashion world between the period of 1929-1938.

Inside the book:

I still don't know why I didn't look at this book sooner. Once I did I was completely blow away by the art. I felt like I stumbled through history class but this time I actually wanted to attend. I loved that the writing in the beginning is short and simple, yet manages to tell the reader what we are reading about. And let's the art throughout the book explain the rest.


Personally:
As a former Clothing & Textiles student, I can appreciate the time, talent and patience it took to compile all the relevant information. Each and every single graphic art truly depicts every time period and its constant evolution. 
Personally, for those of you who are genuinely interested in fashion history or maybe currently pursuing a Fashion major it will be wise to look at this book; for Fashion constantly reinvents itself.
This might just come back to haunt you. 
And if you are not such major, it still won't hurt to take a look. 
The front and back view of the silhouettes is not  3 dimensional but manages to give a full image of the fashion. 

From the pattern silhouettes accompanied by fur coats whether it be from afternoon to evening; to the commanding colors of Old Hollywood glamour or a two piece ensemble, this book provides a truly representation. Of French Fashion from the depression to the Brink of War.

I am truly grateful for the opportunity to read and review  this book.

Be sure to comment down below to share your thoughts and opinions. Do you think you will read this? Do  you want to read this book and why?


Rating:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Red Queen (Red Queen Series) by Victoria Aveyard Book Review

*****Disclaimer***** The following review is entirely my opinion. I encourage you to comment but please be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion that's completely ok. These reviews are not meant to be facts or endorsements. I am sharing my opinion and perspective of this novel. By: Victoria Aveyard Genre: YA, Fantasy Series: Red Queen #1 Publisher: Harper Teen Publication Date: 10th February 2015 Pages: 383 Summary: This is a world divided by blood – red or silver. The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change. That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of powe

The Glass Sword (Red Queen Series) by Victoria Aveeyard Book Review

*****Disclaimer***** The following review is entirely my opinion. I encourage you to comment but please be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion that's completely ok. These reviews are not meant to be facts or endorsements. I am sharing my opinion and perspective of this novel. By:  Victoria Aveyard Genre:  YA, Fantasy Series:  Red Queen #2 Publisher: Harper Teen Publication Date:  9th February 2016 Pages:  444 If there’s one thing Mare Barrow knows, it’s that she’s different. Mare Barrow’s blood is red—the color of common folk—but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control. The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince—the friend—who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind. Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silv